Monday, December 7, 2009

Whispers


The Lord said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.  Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind.  After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake.  After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire.  And after the fire came a gentle whister.  When Elijah heard it, be pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.  ~ 1 Kings 19:11 - 13

Are you waiting for the booming voice of God?  I certainly was.  In the last couple of weeks I haven't heard much from God.  As I waited for Him to speak, I heard only silence.  "Speak to me" was my almost constant prayer.  Suddenly, I was reminded of Elijah on the mountain.  He was told to go out on the mountain and wait for the presence of the Lord.  A great, powerful wind came, but God wasn't in it.  Then an earthquake and fire, but still God was not in them.  Finally, a gentle whisper came. 

I was reminded that too often I look for the great, powerful wind, the mighty booming voice of God.  Just as often I forget to listen for the whisper.  In listening and looking for the loud, blaring voice, I forget the gentle breeze.  But God wasn't in the mighty acts, He was in the whisper. 

Lord, give me ears to hear.  Let us listen for the gentle whisper that we would not miss Your voice in our lives.

It's so easy to look for the mighty acts of God and forget the small things - the smile of a child, the colors of a sunrise, the love in a friend's hug. All of these things speak to us from the heart of God.  Are you listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment